Thursday, January 12, 2012

"Sense and Sensibility" - Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare


I recently watched the movie "Sense and Sensibility" at the time I'm really upset and felt vulnerable like never ever before, then the poem that Kate Winslet whispered when she saw the house of her love just live around my mind like ghost followed.

So I searched and found it here.


Sonnet 116


Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments.
Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.
--William Shakespeare





"I mostly associate this poem with Sense and Sensibility Though I can't find any mention of it in the book, so it must have been one of the things that earned Emma Thompson her Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar. "


I usually not a fun of Jane Austen, but when time passed by, I start to watch her stories' movie, like the story she wrote, like her. It is her unique style to tell people the story, the love she trust and she want to be. I didn't watch all of them, but the ones I have are Sense and Sensibility (1811), Pride and Prejudice (1813),  they both give me faith and courage at the time I need. I know that not every story will have happy ending, however, those happy ending one will make my heart warm. If the life is short, if the time is limited, we should try harder to look for our soul mate, when we find it, the life and time will be worth. 

I respect the belief, the courage, the strong heart and mind those characters have, and I will always learn from it and try to be a little closer gradually.


Will time, knowledge and love give me stronger mind and warmer heart. I shall never give up.


L. Q @ Chicago.
Jan 12, 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment